Stress is a fact of life. Unfortunately, most of us bring our daily stresses to bed with us and throughout the next day as well. That’s why it’s so important to take the time for relaxation and self-care.
Why Self Care is Essential
The idea of pampering yourself and self-care might sound great, but it can be tough to change our daily habits. Maybe a spa day isn’t financially feasible right now or you’re so busy that you can’t find the time.
Either way, it’s crucial to make the time for yourself because long term stress leads to:
- weakened immunity
Self Care Ideas
You can reduce stress in a variety of ways. From eating healthy foods, meditation, exercising, and just taking the time for a quiet moment by yourself. Another terrific way to reduce stress is by creating an at-home spa day. The good news is it’s easy and inexpensive!
DIY Spa Day at Home
Create a relaxing, luxurious self-care experience with these helpful tips:
Add fresh mint and lemons to a pitcher of water for a delightful treat that will hydrate you and contribute to heart health.
Studies show that listening to your favorite music actually makes you happier. So go on and indulge in that embarrassing highschool band you secretly still love.
Candlelight is naturally soothing. Opt for soy wax for a greener choice. Soy wax candles emit less toxic soot than regular candles.
Easy Ways to Pamper Yourself at Home
Buy Yourself Flowers
You can do this in a sustainable way and buy a potted plant locally. My friend bought herself orchids from the grocery store last year as an act of self-love. They are still growing a full year later!
Indulge in a relaxing foot soak and a manicure or pedicure. Simply add epsom salt and warm water into a large bowl or bathtub and sprinkle with your favorite essential oil.
Treat yourself to a new color of nail polish. Pamper yourself with a mani/pedi at home.
Soften your skin with a DIY face mask. Try out these wonderful natural recipes.
Did you know olive oil is good for your hair and scalp? As a bonus, olive oil is packed with antioxidants. Simply apply olive oil and massage from your scalp to hair tips. Allow the oil to remain for 15 minutes. Rinse and shampoo and usual. Your hair will be silky soft.
A bath with a bath bomb is no ordinary bath! When bath bombs dissolve in water, they release a wonderful mix of essential oils, bubbles, and other natural ingredients. Try this amazing DIY bath bomb recipe!
DIY Bath Bomb Recipe
These easy DIY bath bombs will give you something special to look forward to at the end of the day. Sure, you probably have to cook dinner and do chores first, but after that, elevate your bath with this sumptuous recipe:
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup of sea or epsom salt
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of oil (olive, coconut, almond)
- 2 teaspoons of witch hazel
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 30-40 drops of your favorite essential oil
- molds or greased muffin tins
- Take a large bowl and add all dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, vanilla extract witch hazel and stir well. Add your favorite essential oils if desired. Lavender oil is a popular choice that is gentle on skin.
- Combine the liquid ingredients with dry ingredients a little bit at a time. Mix well with your hands.
- Squeeze the mixture in your hands. When it all holds together without crumbling, you’ve got the right texture. If not, add slightly more witch hazel until the right consistency is achieved.
- Carefully press the mixture into greased muffin tins or molds. Let it set/harden for at least 24 hours.
- Once the bath bombs are dry, remove from molds/muffin tins. Store them in an airtight container. Enjoy within 2 weeks.