Tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world, and for good reasons. Drinking tea is a simple pleasure that people have enjoyed for centuries. Tea is not only enjoyable, it is packed with antioxidants and other health benefits. Tea consumption may even prevent osteoporosis, cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
Tea Health Benefits
Although the ritual of drinking tea in itself is a pleasure, different types of teas have their own proven, healing properties.
Here are the different types of tea and their health benefits:
Named after it’s dark color and bold flavor, black tea is more oxidized than other teas.
Benefits of black tea:
– aids the digestive system
– has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body
– protects your skin
– improves your metabolism
Green tea has a milder, earthy flavor and is lighter than black tea. Green tea is one of the least processed teas.
Health Benefits of Green Tea
– protects against cancer
– maintains heart health
– increases fat burning
Oolong tea leaves are dried in the sun, creating a mild tea with a pale color.
Health Benefits of Oolong Tea:
– helps manage blood sugar levels and diabetes
– prevents tooth decay 
White tea is minimally processed, which gives it a delicate flavor.
White Tea Health Benefits
– aids mental health
– fights bacteria
Herbal tea typically does not contain caffeine, making it an ideal bedtime tea. Herbal tea is made of dried petals, leaves, roots and stems of plants and flowers.
Health Benefits of Herbal Tea:
– aids in digestion
– helps relieve anxiety and stress
– natural sleep aid
– has anti-inflammatory effects
How to Choose the Right Tea
Because there are literally thousands of tea varieties, finding the right tea for you can be overwhelming. On the plus side, tea is so popular and relatively inexpensive, so you can easily try a variety of teas to find the one you like best.
Tea blends for Common Health Symptoms:
- chamomile, a proven tranquilizer
- lavender, naturally soothing
- passionflower, for a good night’s sleep
- mint, for extra pep
- nettles, great for allergies
- ginseng, for vitality
- licorice root, for all stomach ailments
- chamomile, naturally tranquilizing
- nettles, to boost the immune system
- licorice root, immune-boosting
- lavender, soothing and relaxing
- ashwagandha Root, an adaptogen against stress
- clove. A staple of allspice racks
How to Make Tea at Home
How to make the perfect pot of tea:
- Put the kettle on and bring it to a boil
- Grab your favorite tea bag or a diffuser with loose tea and add to a mug. Fill with the hot water
- Cover and steep for up to 7 minutes
- Remove the cover and teabag
Sit down, take a deep breath and enjoy your tea!